Michael Weiss - Professor
My main research interests focus on Indo-European linguistics. In particular I have been interested in the historical phonology and morphology of Greek, Latin and the Sabellic languages. I am editing together with Andrew Garrett a Handbook of Indo-European Studies and writing a new Introduction to Indo-European Linguistics with Jay Jasanoff, both for Oxford University Press. I am also working on a study of the sociocultural contexts of Indo-European Linguistics in the 20th century, and an investigation of some classic problems of the PIE phonological system including the stop system and the role of supra-syllabic constituents in PIE phonology. I am also interested in the theoretical aspects of historical linguistics.
- Outline of the Historical and Comparative Grammar of Latin (Ann Arbor: Beech Stave) 2009.
Reviews: James Clackson, BMCR, 2010.09.35
- Language and Ritual in Sabellic Italy (Leiden: Brill) 2010.
- Kim, Ronald, Norbert Oettinger, Elisabeth Rieken, and Michael Weiss (eds.) 2010. Ex Anatolia lux. Anatolian and Indo-European studies in honor of H. Craig Melchert on the occasion of his sixty-fifth birthday. Ann Arbor: Beech Stave Press.
- Umbrian erus, in East and West: Papers in Indo-European studies, Kazuhiko Yoshida and Brent Vine (eds.), 241-264. Bremen: Hempen Verlag, 2009.
- Cui Bono? The beneficiary phrases of the Third Iguvine Table, in Verba docenti.Studies in historical and Indo-European linguistics presented to Jay H. Jasanoff by students, colleagues, and friends, Alan J. Nussbaum (ed.), 365–78. Ann Arbor: Beech Stave Press, 2007.
- Latin Orbis and its Cognates, in Historische Sprachforschung, 119: 250-72.
- Preface to Ivy Livingston, A Linguistic Commentary on Livius Andronicus, Routledge, 2004.
- Observations on the South Picene Inscription TE 1 (S. Omero), in Journal of Indo-European Studies, 2001.
- Erotica: On the Prehistory of Greek Desire, in Harvard Studies in Classical Philology, 98, 31-61, 1998.
- On Some Developments of Final Syllables in South-Picene, in Mir Curad Studies in Honor of Calvert Watkins (pp. 703-715). Innsbruck, 1998.
- Greek myríos 'countless,' Hittite muri-'bunch (of fruit),' in Historische Sprachforschung, 109.2 199-214, 1996.
- Life Everlasting, in Münchener Studien zur Sprachwissenschaft 55:131-56, 1994.
- Studies in Italic Nominal Morphology. Unpublished diss., Cornell University, 1993. [Part 1] [Part 2] [Part 3] [Part 4] [Bibliography]
Forthcoming and in preparation
Cosmogonia Italica. Forthcoming in the Atti del III Convegno Internazionale dell'Istituto di Ricerche e Documentazione sugli Antichi Umbri: Perugia-Gubbio 21-25 settembre 2011
Observations on the Prehistory of Lat. augur. Forthcoming in the Acts of the Milan Convegno in memoriam Helmut Rix.
The Cao Bang Theory: Some Speculations on the Prehistory of the PIE Stop System. [PowerPoint file]